Friends of the Rouge Watershed Logo

   
     
 
 
Settler's Cottage

Pearse_Cottage_historic_Rouge_building_winter_03_JR.jpg
The historic Pearse Cottage, as it looked in
the winter of 2003.

A small settler's cottage (circa 1860) is located at the northwest corner of Finch and Meadowvale Avenue in northeast Scarborough. This cottage was once the home of George Pearse, a stonemason whose family helped to create the Hillside Community near the Little Rouge River in Scarborough.

The George Pearse cottage has historic and architectural importance as an early settler’s dwelling, noted for its modest size and board-and-batten cladding.

Currently owned by the Ontario Government, this cottage is scheduled for transfer to the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority as part of the Rouge Park.

The TRCA has agreed, subject to the negotiation of suitable terms, to lease the Pearse Cottage and property to Friends of the Rouge Watershed (FRW).

FRW volunteers are working with heritage experts, the City of Toronto Planning Department, the Rouge Park and the Conservation Authority, in an effort to protect and restore the historic Pearse Cottage, and permit its after-use as an FRW office and Rouge meeting place.